Old 04-20-2011, 04:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
wanttobehealthy

He replied "OMG, Why do you have a problem with 2 beers, it was just beer"

I think he wants me to say: Well thats better than a 5th of whiskey a day, like you were drinking, Im so proud of you...
Rationalization and justification on his part and of course you're the bad guy bc you aren't playing along and saying what he wants to hear. And yes, what he wants to hear is
Well thats better than a 5th of whiskey a day, like you were drinking, Im so proud of you...

That conversation (even the beer/whiskey reference) is IDENTICAL to ones I have had in recent months with my "R"AH.

For as long as they think that what they drink and the quantity they drink is a step toward recovery... they aren't anywhere near recovery at all.

Don't engage at all about it-- come here instead. He WANTS you to get upset so he can have another rationalization to continue drinking.

Some of my H's on going statements since he "committed" to recovery.

"I'm going to try" (to stop lying, to stop hiding alcohol, etc...
"I want to stop, I just process things by understanding them intellectually first and THEN acting differently"
"I want to want to stop"
"You expect perfection" (when he is held accountable for his unacceptable behavior and fwiw I definitely do not expect perfection)

I'm guessing you've heard similar things too... Neither your H nor mine are anywhere near wanting to recover imho.