Thread: denial-venting
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2011, 08:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
MrDavid

Re:denial-venting

There is no need to explain yourself for anything, let alone your mother’s condition. These people have not experienced the mind altering effects of prolonged alcoholism, so trying to explain yourself to anyone who hasn't experienced those symptoms -just yet- will most likely be in vain.

These people need a serious 'wakeup call' and a tour at the local psyche ward at any VA hospital would be a good start. You can find a vast array of characters from all walks of life, at those institutions, and with some very interesting stories -as well. The one unifying theme that binds them all, despite their differences, is their alcoholic disposition. You will see people who don't remember their name, because they suffer from " Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome" or "wet brain"; a deliberating form of "confabulation or retrograde amnesia” caused by alcoholism. There are those too, whom have lost most if not all their motor skills, making ordinary body functions such as the senses, perception, speech, and judgment more difficult to navigate; and The list goes on and on.

The point is rather mute, especially for anyone that doesn't fully understand the profound impact prolonged alcoholism can have on anyone's life. My understanding of this disease can best be defined in how it affected my life, since sobering up over 9 years ago. Every day is a reminder that active alcoholics do suffer serious consequences as a result of their drinking and anyone who has ever toured a hospital psyche ward, worked with newcomers or did a twelve step call can testify to that.

I've personally witnessed the struggles of many "last gaspers" and what the implications could be for anyone, who still clings to the idea that alcohol can never have any serious repercussions. What these people really need is an awakening of sorts; an epiphany, that would open up their eyes instead of their mouth and witness for themselves the residual effects this disease can cause, and a good dose of 'alcoholic dementia' might be the wakeup call they so desperately need.

~God bless~