View Single Post
Old 04-15-2011, 10:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
roisindubh

Originally Posted by goldengirl3 View Post
Is anyone here friends with their Ex? I mean truly friends. You've been able to put the resentment and being in love behind you, and be detached.

I've talked to mine a little bit since my layoff at work. He hasn't tried to manipulate me, ask anything of me, toy with me, no flirting, it's been strictly platonic. I get the impression we have both accepted that it's over and would never work out. We haven't met up because he knows I'm not interested in drinking or being around it. It's been kind of nice.

Anyone been fooled before? I'm thinking as long as I keep my boundaries....
Be careful - my ex used getting back with me to get out of the relationship he was in with the woman he left me for. I was stupid enough to take him back (we were already divorced), and he walked out 1 1/2 years later for another woman whom he married. I was three years sober but almost got drunk - went to store for a bottle but never got beyond the parking lot. I went home and called someone in the program. My ex and I are civil when we meet - one of my nieces lived with us for six years and we're very close to her and meet at her family events. I would never trust him again, so keep my distance. He calls sometimes to chat but it's impersonal - we are strictly friends. We've been divorced 23 years.