View Single Post
Old 04-14-2011, 09:12 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Stride34

For me, counting days became a sign that I was too aware of time and was stuck in my own head. I wasn't really in the present, and I was trying to superficially validate my sobriety through how much time I had rather than my quality of life at this moment. Ultimately, all that matters is the here and now. We all think our lives will be better 5 years from now if we stay sober, and hopefully so, but all that matters is how we live today. I admit that when I tend to get unhappy or insecure in life, I think about my sober time and think of how long it's been, and that actually helps give me some motivation to keep going. When I have no other motivation, my sober time is motivation in itself. But when I'm healthy and truly enjoying life sober and not stuck in my own head, life tends to just flow, other things and people become more important, and sober time means nothing. There are far more interesting things to me in this world then thinking about my own self, but I have to admit I do more than I'd like.

We didn't get sober to think about being sober, we got sober to be sober.