Thread: Separating?
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2011, 11:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
LaTeeDa

Originally Posted by putmeontheair View Post
When you guys are saying involve lawyers, etc. ... even during a trial separation that I'm not 100% sure will lead to divorce? I don't have a lot of cash.
Involving a lawyer doesn't have to mean hiring one. But, you need to educate yourself on the possible outcomes (mostly financial) of separating. Some attorneys will offer and initial consultation of 1/2 hour or an hour at no cost. Others may charge you for a meeting. Either way, you're not obligated to hire them or proceed with anything.

There are a lot of variables in what you are asking here. Are you just talking about living separately, remaining married, with no legal agreement? Or, are you talking about a "legal separation," which involves a court case and an enforceable set of conditions? These are the kind of questions an attorney can answer for you. Also, state laws apply to divorce and separation, so even if we share our own experience, your state could be entirely different than mine.

All in all, I can tell you that I felt much more comfortable knowing what I needed to do after I consulted with an attorney.

L