View Single Post
Old 04-10-2011, 06:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Pelican
peaceful seabird

Originally Posted by starlight40 View Post
I e-mail my girlfriends with the reasons why I am leaving and never coming back!
So that when I am with them again I can read them every time I feel weak.

Oh one more thing..... Did any of you ever feel so overwhelmed toward the end? Like you really thought you were gonna lose it for sure? If so how did you handle it?

This is what happened to me:
I was trying to land a job in a town 5 hours away, I knew I was going to file for divorce (couldnt decide on when), I needed to find a place to live (but where - here or there), my A was being kind, my A was walking around on eggshells and so were we........ I was a hot mess!

So I picked up the phone and called someone from my Alanon meeting. She listened while I cried. She listened while I told her about all the life changing decisions I needed to make. I didn't know where to start. This is what she said to me:

"You do have a lot of big decisions to make. All of them will affect your future. But do you need to have all the answers by 3 p.m. today?"

What?

She was right. I did not need to have all the answers by 3 p.m. today. I needed to let go and give my worries to my HP. I needed to stay in the moment. Do what I needed to do to get through the next hour, two hours and the rest of that day.

It worked.

by practicing patience, more options were revealed and I was able to make healthy, peaceful decisions.

One other thing I did was to keep a small note in my wallet (in with the bills or coins). On that small note was a list. The title of the list said this:
Living with _____________(insert alcoholics name) means:
Depression
Lies
Financial disasters
Emotional abuse
Anger

That list kept me from forgetting why I was leaving.