Thread: denial-venting
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2011, 03:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
bubblehead

denial-venting

I moved back to this area last year, and finally ventured out to socialize. As I said in my past posts, my mother suffers from dementia due to alcohol. this is a small town, eveyone knows. So I am at this party and of course I got made fun of when I told them no thanks, I no longer drink. I expected it.
What annoyed me: my mother used to be a very popular person in this area. Its now known she suffers from dementia (at age 56). She is regularly seen talking to people who aren't there and had a couple of scary incident that got her Baker acted.
So I am at this party and someone asks about my mother. I explain she is going through alcoholic dementia. Talk about an uproar. They all tell me alcohol cannot do that and ask if its something else. The fact she was alone too much or maybe she's just at the age where dementia sets in (she's only in her 50's!!!). What can I say? No sorry, it was the alcohol, she's had extensive neurological tests. Sorry if that makes that bottle of tequila being passed around less attractive.
I remember when her boyfriend died from a rare, acute form for cirrohsis, it was the same thing. Everyone speculated "Well maybe he did drugs or something else". It was undeniably alcohol.