View Single Post
Old 04-07-2011, 02:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Lisa0808

trying to let go

As I have said before my family member is an alcoholic and has been for many years now. I always give my full support and try to help, I have learned since coming here that I need to step back and wait for her to want the change..yet I still have a hard time just letting go. I finally said the other night that I would listen if she calls and that is it..I am no longer going to stress myself out over trying to get her help. It's the worst thing to have a sister that needs help and not be able to do a damn thing. I don't know if I feel completely okay with the fact that her boyfriend knows she has a problem yet he feels like she should just be able to stop. He in my eyes does not help this situation at all..he leaves and continues to buy alcohol and leave it at her fingertips. When asked by her if they could get rid of everything or at least lock it up his reaction is you should be able to not get a drink and walk away. I know that is impossible for her to do..she knows that..why won't he just do it? I want to call him and talk to him myself to let him know that if he will not help her he should step aside and let her go home with my parents. Is that something reasonable to do or is that over stepping my boundaries?? My hopes are that she will soon come to the conclusion that she needs professional help and do something about it before its too late. I know I will continue to learn my steps on here. This is truly a great place and I have read many stories like my sisters that end up happy. I hope one day I will be able to post about her recovery and win against drinking.