View Single Post
Old 04-06-2011, 04:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
headheldhigh

Too good to be true?

So ah has been in recovery for 40-something days. This is his 1st time. He basically spent out entire relationship (7 years) abusing alcohol. As it got worse, so did our relationship until I was basically living with a person I despised until I felt fiancially in the place to take my children and leave. My feelings were dead for him, I was so over his alcoholism and what it was doing to my life.

He finally admitted he was an alcoholic (something I knew for years) and has been actively getting help. He's seeing a therapist weekly to address the issues that got him to this point and going to AA 4+ times a week.

I've been amazed. He has been making such a transformation. He is thoughtful, considerate and level-headed these days. He talks about being so glad he finally got help and how he is happy for the 1st time in longer then he can remember.

I'm just wondering if this is real or just some kind of honeymoon period. I don't want to allow myself to be hopeful. For so long I had written off my marriage and basically acted like a single mom. I finally feel like I have a partner, and I am liking it.

He's saying all the right things. He's never been a very good liar so I believe that HE believes what he is saying about where he is at. I know it's said to 'detach', but I had for so long. When is it safe to embrace and move forward together? I feel like we've grown as a couple in so many ways over the last few weeks. And I think these healthy interactions are helping both of us. I just don't want to set myself up.