View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 08:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
EmeraldRose

Hi Leonyo...I'm a parent, I'm a daughter and I'm an alcoholic.
My 18 year old daughter gives me grief about going in her room although she isn't a user. But it's her room, its her stuff and I'm to stay out. I understand that battle.
I was a daughter that lied, stole, drank and did dope...my parents were at wits end as to what to do with me and NOW they are the only ones I can talk to.
As an alcoholic I understand the addict side of you -sort of. I understand the mood swings and how hard it is to focus.
I've been on the computer way too much lately because it's just mind candy and keeps me from overloading and blowing up.
You have to understand your parents love you. They don't know what to do for you. They probably think that overprotection will make you better -if they can just keep you all theirs until you are better. They are afraid when you leave...you may never return, Leonyo.
There was a young man your age in my rehab group. He used, was the eldest of two and was having trouble with his parents even though he quit. He was in tears one night because he really loved his Mom but she hounded him and wasn't helping his cause. The advice was to try to sit and talk to her. Try to understand where she's coming from and explain to her how you feel. Put a timer on, so you don't interupt each other and can't overtalk each and start a fight. Just talk. See if you can open the lines of communication with them and tell them how you feel.
Hopefully, your recovery will get on the right track...its not easy I know.