Old 04-03-2011, 01:54 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
artsoul
SR Fan

Welcome to the forum!
he doesn't like to be around me when I'm drinking. He says that I act different and he never knows which "wife" he will get.
I'm not currently married, but have children in their teens and 20's who occasionally expressed a concern with my drinking (it used to make me so defensive and even angry).

My daughter would ask "have you been drinking?" and I wondered why she would say that, as it was often when I'd only had two or three drinks - I never got drunk in front of them (only after they went to bed, or at parties). In fact I was very intent on acting completely sober all the time.

So when I'd ask my daughter why she thought I'd been drinking, she would just say "I can tell....." I think when you really know someone, live with them for years, etc...., it's pretty hard to fool them.

Have you ever seen a bunch of people drink when you were sober? They think they're more fun and charming, but to an outsider they're just getting stupid (which is in fact what happens to our brains). Our sense of humor is much more interesting and sophisticated when we're sober. When we're drunk, not so much.

You're thinking about it, which is a really good thing and I commend you for it. I know it's not easy to think about giving up drinking - it wasn't easy for any of us, but once sober we found that we were actually more engaged in our lives than before and happier all around.