Old 04-03-2011, 12:54 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
yoli

Originally Posted by WritingFromLife View Post
Jstar, I could've written you words, tweaking a couple of irrelevant details (I am a few years older and have three kids).

I drank with my girlfriends (who are all "polished" with successful careers) at home or out at lunch on a sunny patio (which turned into drinking through the evening) several times a month and thought I was the life of the party (I WAS to my drinking girlfriends!) i also drank at home during the week to "get out of my head" (it was JUST WINE, right? Ha.) One day, my husband said the same thing yours did. He has a highly tolerant/patient personality and is not a tee totaler--so this threw me for a loop; if HE'S saying that, I'm not just fooling MYSELF. I already knew my mind worked better on a daily basis without alcohol. It took away my "edge"-my drive. It kept me complacent and comfortable, and stole my contentment. It took me while, but I finally had enough of the low energy, wondering what I said the night before, and lost days. This is a long way around the bush to say...maybe give sobriety a shot? What do you have lose? I am two weeks shy of being sober a year, I found the me I gave up years ago. I wouldn't trade it for the world. It's worth it, and so are you....
Holy Cow!!! Jstar and your story is almost exactly like my story. Great tolerant and patient husband who can drink but prefers not to. The thing is when he drinks, he never ends up like me- a mess. We talked about controlling alcohol on numerous occasions to have me mess up again. The last time, he and my kids saw me unable to walk. He thought he should go to therapy to deal with me. He said he was in deep despair and didn't know what he had done in life to deserve this. He said he cursed the alcohol aisle in the store when he went by it and thinks prohibition was a good idea. (Off topic- prohibition was created due to people out of control with alcohol) It wasn't him at all. It was me. That was the last straw. That was my bottom.

Jstar, when I first got to SR I really didn't want to face the rest of my life without wine- at least at a party, my birthday, New Year's Eve. But after reading everyone's posts we are not physiologically programmed to drink in moderation. It's nature, it's the way we were created. Everyone here has failed numerous times to moderate. I am not different. I am at peace quitting alcohol because I want to now.

In the past 2 wks I and my husband have noticed physical improvements in me- losing weight, no bloating, BP now normal again, etc.

You will learn a lot from the SR posts and everyones' stories. There's lots of good information and support. I couldn't have done it without SR.

Best wishes to you and your family!!!!!