Old 04-02-2011, 08:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
refrigerator

Hello everyone...recovering college student here

My story: I developed a pretty bad drinking problem in college, and junior year is when it really got bad. I started having panic attacks from withdrawal and eventually went on celexa. I took celexa for general anxiety for a year and a half, and was also prescribed ativan for when panic attacks did happen.

I got way too sucked into the social aspect of college, and eventually started drinking every day whether others were drinking or not. I would drink alone every day...before and after meeting up with friends, going to class, etc.

I would do very stupid things when i was drunk, such as cuss out friends, fall over drunk and hurt myself, and embarrass myself in all ways possible. I'm sure many of you have been there before.

I would go out to the bars at least 3 times a week on top of all the other drinking I did. I don't even want to know how much money I spent in the last few years. My parents were always concerned because they could look at my bank statement and see what I was buying. I would do all things possible to try and hide my booze habit from them. This was done by using cash, pocket change, or shopping at Hy-Vee or Walgreens. I didn't care that the beer had less alcohol in it, it just meant that I had to drink more of it. I loved beer. I loved drinking. Then, throwing in some weed and an ativan here and there and you're set for a good night. I was a mess, and everyone knew it.

At my worst I was drinking at least 6 or 7 beers a day, and often times 10 or 12. Sometimes I would drink 12 beers and then go out. That never ended well. I would try and sleep off my withdrawal every day by staying in bed until 3 or 4pm. And I would be back to the Natty Light not soon after I got out of bed.

So that brings me to where I am today. I am a 5th year in college, but have decided to move home this semester to live with my parents and get better. Despite my drinking woes, I only need 2 more classes to graduate (my therapist says it's amazing I made it that far...and I guess it is). I came home on January 12th and haven't had a drink since. I also have a therapist, as stated above, and I have been working a full time job to save up money so I can finish college. I also started weening off my medication back in January, and this passed week I am finally off of them.

I haven't felt this good in a long time. No more feeling like crap 24/7, no more making an ass of myself every time I go out, etc.

I am however, sort of lonely. Most of my friends are still back at school, and the ones that aren't have moved on in their lives. I read the thread about facebook, and find it VERY relevant in my situation. It's hard to see pictures of people having fun, and here I am...23 years old living with my parents...never hanging out with anybody...and a general feeling of disconnection with those I was close to back at school.

But anyway, I'll get over it. My plans are to go back to school this summer and finish up, and I can be with my friends for one last time before we all graduate and go our separate ways.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my experience. Any questions, thoughts, or concerns would be greatly appreciated!