View Single Post
Old 03-28-2011, 09:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
recycle
Ethanol Intolerant

Originally Posted by Beardo View Post
What meditations work for you all? I've mostly done guided meditations and I'm not too aware of what else is out there.....ideas?

Beardo, the range of meditation practice is huge. I settled on Raja Yoga, but it is a very personal choice. Here is what I have learned on my journey:
  • Guided meditations can be really helpful for stress relief, but I believe there is much value in learning to meditate on your own. It always felt like a crutch using guided meditations.
  • I flailed around for a couple of years trying to learn meditation on my own. I highly recommend finding a teacher or a group to practice with. I found having a teacher was an exponential difference in learning.
  • Decide what you want to get out of meditation and pick one practice and stick with it for at least two or three months. After that, you can redefine your goals if needed.

Being alcoholic, you probably aren’t going to take my advice, and you are going to want to do it on your own right? If that is the case, the most prescriptive instructions I have found is for Autogenics. It was developed in the thirties in Europe, it is completely secular, and it has some scientific study behind it. I tried to learn Autogenics, but I was a drunk at the time and I could not master the daily commitment....read:FAIL