View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 03:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
wanttobehealthy

I was laid off today

As if it's not enough that my H lies to me, that my marriage is over, that I am a walking wreck, I was told today that DESPITE claims to the contrary by my Superintendent since I was hired, my job has been cut from the budget for next year.

When I was hired 2 years ago I was offered 2 positions. The one I intended to take and initially accepted was a school district position. The other, and the one that my Superintendent talked me into taking (but obviously it was my choice in the long run) was partially grant funded and I asked at the time whether that was stable. I said clearly that I had a young family and needed to know that this wasn't going to go up in smoke. He assured me that this was his personal pet project and that because the grant was funding a federally mandated special ed issue, there was no way it was going to be cut. In Dec he told me that the position was safe.

Today, my supervisor, not even the Superintendent himself, told me that the Superintendent cut my position and has decided to allocate the grant funds elsewhere.

It's sort of feeling like the theme of my life is that I trust what I am told and get screwed as a result.

I am panicked about what I am going to do. I have a master's degree and quite a few years of teaching experience and the way it works in terms of hiring is that the more years you have, the higher you have to be paid per union rules so it's an unspoken rule that once you have 15+ yrs you'd better be damn sure you don't lose your job bc you won't find another. Every district in my state is laying people off like mad thanks to the Governor reducing State aid to schools by millions this year. So, I have no other skills, no other experience, I have 2 kids, I can't afford to live on my own if I am unemployed (oh and I can't collect unemployment since I was paid from a grant I was told)...

I am overwhelmed, feeling trapped, and in a state of shock and not sure what to do and not sure who to talk to or where to turn so I am talking here....

Thanks for listening..