Old 03-20-2011, 03:30 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
theatredork

Rachel, I know this has been on for a few days and I haven't read all of the replies, but I wanted to chime in that I've had a similar experience - my boyfriend recognizes that I have a drinking problem but doesn't see it as severe. I came home from my first real AA meeting and he was like, "so now you see how people are much worse that you?" And I was like, yeah, it's true most of the people in my treatment program and in AA have had really serious consequences/drink a lot more in volume than I do/have tried illegal drugs/whatever. But the stories are the same when it comes down to it - loss of control, insecurity over behaviors... all of that... if I continued down the path I could very well end up in a worse situation. Isn't it better that I'm realizing these behaviors are unhealthy and addressing it at 30, when I'm relatively physically healthy and no DUI, etc., than if I was 60 with liver failure and homeless?

I think it's about him wanting me not to feel so bad about myself - so maybe your husband is the same way. He's telling you not to be too hard on yourself. He's trying to be supportive, maybe and doesn't see that he's feeding the addict in you that's telling you to drink. But I think we can only decide for ourselves if we have a problem.