View Single Post
Old 03-17-2011, 05:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
PrettyViolets

Only he can take care of this problem. The only thing that you can do is take care of yourself. I will be honest that because my husband was an alcoholic that I stopped drinking any alcohol. I have never been drunk myself. I just felt like with my Christianity that I needed to be honest with God and just give up the social aspect of drinking that I felt made me "cool". I deeply loved my husband, and I felt I needed to be best role model as well. So I gave up drinking--no regrets.

It is time to play hard to get. As a woman, I want you to think about the traits that you would want in your future boyfriend or spouse.

Here is a list of good traits for a good boyfriend and future spouse:
He is financially responsible.
He takes care of himself--physically and emotionally.
He is there for you and your relationship.

Go for those traits in a future partner. I cannot tell you how many times I had to look at my husband and tell him that I wanted a spouse who had a job and who was sober-Know what you want, and do not settle for less. Guess what, my husband has a job now, and after his last relapse he completed an outpatient program and is going back to AA meetings. He had to make the decision to recover from his alcoholism. The only thing that I could do was set boundaries.

I know this is hard. I have a son myself. And my husband is a good father. It really helped me to get involved with a church and a community group--they have helped me to be strong during the toughest times.