View Single Post
Old 03-17-2011, 03:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
zrx1200R

Well, what worked for me (at least a little, not 100% "cure"):

I sat mine down with filed divorce papers on the table. Gave 2 alternate futures.

Future 1 -- blow me off, laugh it away, what ever you want to do. But if she didn't go to Rehab that day. Basically right now, I was determined to see the legal action through to the end. I made it clear there would be no second chance. Essentially, if she made the choice of declining rehab and/or not doing exactly what they said, I was done. Period. Bye. have a nice life. See you in court.

Future 2 -- If she went to the rehab appointment I had already made and followed through with what ever course of treatment they suggested, it was possible to NOT divorce. I made it clear simply going was not going to result in my pulling of the divorce papers. Only that going right now made it possible that I could choose to not follow through, based on her continued improvement and a significant improvement in our lives together.

Mine chose to go to rehab and start AA, but it was not easy. She continued to lie at rehab, AA, and lies and drinks to this day. Yesterday in fact, I stumbled across a sports drink container with wine in it. So she is far from cured.

However, she has cut her wine down from 15 bottles a week to probably 1 or 2. Overall, our lives are much better. There is still much improvement on the horizon. There is no promise of staying married. the papers are still filed.

That's what I did. And my life is a bit better. Understand the drunk fairy did not come and sprinkle magic dust making it all go away. She still has alcoholic behavior, still lies, still drinks, still is self centered and prone to fly off the handle at the smallest of things. And this is truly better than it was.

My advice from 20+ years of living with an alcoholic is to run away. Today is better than tomorrow. But only you can decide.