Old 03-17-2011, 12:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
JoeStrummer

[QUOTE=Creekryder;2892274]Could it be I found a section of SR that allows me to believe I have the ability within myself to accomplish my goal of sobriety without the belief in an external deity or a reliance of a power greater than myself?

In my opinion, there is no greater power than that which resides in each of us. To tap into the source is the puzzle. I firmly believe this comes from within, not externally. QUOTE]

My feelings exactly. I joined SOS (Secular Organization for Sobriety, aka Save Our Selves) a few months ago after years of failed attempts through AA, where I was constantly rebuked for refusing to accept the need for a "higher power", and refusing to accept that my recovery would depend upon healing from "spiritual sickness". I am now, finally, happily sober. I would also recommend reading "Empowering Your Sober Self", by Martin Nicolaus, for a good secular approach to recovery.

Needless to say, I also find SR to be a wealth of support and resources for recovery. All the best my friends!