I am absolutely thrilled to find this section!

Old 03-09-2011, 11:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

I am absolutely thrilled to find this section!

Could it be I found a section of SR that allows me to believe I have the ability within myself to accomplish my goal of sobriety without the belief in an external deity or a reliance of a power greater than myself? How is it I missed this before?

I would never denounce someone for believing in God or a higher power, but was usually quiet in professing a strong belief that the key to my sobriety was within myself. Of course I have previously failed attempts under this belief, but so have others within the 12-step program, et.al. Again I reiterate from a previous post—it is not the programs that fail, it is the individual that succumbs to the relentless pounding of addiction.

In my opinion, there is no greater power than that which resides in each of us. To tap into the source is the puzzle. Meditation and reflection are a couple of keys for us to find that dynamism and fuel our recovery. Consciousness is vital in overcoming any addiction. To remain constant in preparation for events that threaten a relapse and take proper actions requires attentiveness. I firmly believe this comes from within, not externally.

I hope to visit here often.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You found it..and welcome. I think you described this section and the people who come here from time to time perfectly. This is the fun "do it yourself" section.

Well maybe not do it yourself, but you might find a little more "self help" info here. I think we all need support from time to time.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Creek..Seems quite the quiet section here at Secular Connections. Nice to read some of the older threads.

I happen to agree with you...sobriety sits squarely on the shoulders of the individual. Why that belief is so outlandish to some leaves me puzzled. <shrug>

I also don't know why that view point is considered secular? If the program that teaches a reliance on a higher power isn't religious why the need for a secular section at all. <shrugs again>

Anyhow..nice to meet you Creek
Old 03-09-2011, 12:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Hi there

We used to get our knuckles whacked and threads closed for some of our discussions here (seems you can talk about religion and AA all you want but you can't question it too loudly) so we started this lightly moderated thread in the user created groups section;

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ee-speech.html

That's where we can really let our hair down.

Murray
Old 03-09-2011, 01:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There are also those of us who do believe in God in this section who choose our own way in recovery. I have a fairly stong faith but I don't believe God turned me into a drunk so I don't believe it HIS job to get me out of the mess I made.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

Originally Posted by Creekryder View Post
I have the ability within myself to accomplish my goal of sobriety without the belief in an external deity or a reliance of a power greater than myself? .

My gosh I have been saying this for years!

People blame "you" for using, but "god" gets the credit for your sobriety?
Old 03-09-2011, 01:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

Thx, Murray, for the link.
Jamdis, I couldn't agree with you more on the responsibility of recovery. I have no problem with other people's belief system. The only time it becomes problematic is with the statement "Well, you're wrong and you should believe this..." I have had many enjoyable hours discussing religious beliefs with others. It is my intention to listen and compare values, not argue if theories are more correct than others. I find more often than not, most of basic views are similar to mine. Only dogmatic issues differ.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to our happy disfunctional family Creek

I'm like Judy I believe in God but don't rely on him for my sobriety which is why I'm happiest down here...I kind of feel He helped me by giving me tools I can use to keep myself sober but using the tools is up to me.

Anyhow...our little corner ebbs and flows somewhat but the people who visit here are awesome
Old 03-09-2011, 07:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Cool Yeaaaaa....

...here's part of the deal for this forum.
Originally Posted by SoberRecovery.com
12 Step Programs are off topic for this forum and posts discussing 12 Step Programs will be removed. Please use the Secular 12 Step Forum for positive topics on Secular 12 Step Recovery.
So I guess don't "topic" the 12 steps and its good to go.

Originally Posted by jamdls
There are also those of us who do believe in God in this section who choose our own way in recovery. I have a fairly stong faith but I don't believe God turned me into a drunk so I don't believe it HIS job to get me out of the mess I made.
Originally Posted by LF
I'm like Judy I believe in God but don't rely on him for my sobriety which is why I'm happiest down here...I kind of feel He helped me by giving me tools I can use to keep myself sober but using the tools is up to me.
I respect that guys. I don't do the strong atheist (SA) position anymore. Everyone has enough hassles in life without having to read a SA's rant about somebody's recovery principles.

Originally Posted by Creek
Could it be I found a section of SR that allows me to believe I have the ability within myself to accomplish my goal of sobriety without the belief in an external deity or a reliance of a power greater than myself? How is it I missed this before?
Personally I believe everybody that attempts addiction recovery has it within themselves to recover. However some need a little coaching or maybe support to get going. Along with that, a good plan (guidance) can help some. Others may need all the outside resources that they can muster to unlock their potential. But ultimately once the idea of recovery is planted or discovered in an individual...they do the work...they get the rewards.

I feel to deny that it is the self that dose the recovery, is just another form of denial. One that blinds the individual to needlessly believe that "outside forces" can either take the credit for success or even more sadly, the blame for failure. Except the blame is protected back at the individual wile the success, remains out of ones hand. Very screwy I think.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have to say Zen, you are always on point!
Old 03-10-2011, 09:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

I agree whole-heartedly, Zen, that outside assistance is vital. I rely upon that with my visits here. I just have had issues with a "mystical power" that comes to me from beyond the visible universe that allows me to do something I couldn't normally do for myself. Again, that power is within me and I alone am responsible for overcoming my addiction, just as much as it is that same person who may chose not to tap into that power and fall flat on his butt in relapse. I do not take responsibility for having the genetic disposition for alcohol addiction, that wasn't a choice I was given. However, I do take full responsibility to how I respond to the knowledge of condition and what direction I go as a result. I am not helpless. I may be weak at times and not use my senses, but I can stand on my own two feet.
Just don't let me forget I said that.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

My God is the universe both seen and unseen. That includes me. I work SMART and another program. Both offer me skills for my recovery.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Creekryder;2892274]Could it be I found a section of SR that allows me to believe I have the ability within myself to accomplish my goal of sobriety without the belief in an external deity or a reliance of a power greater than myself?

In my opinion, there is no greater power than that which resides in each of us. To tap into the source is the puzzle. I firmly believe this comes from within, not externally. QUOTE]

My feelings exactly. I joined SOS (Secular Organization for Sobriety, aka Save Our Selves) a few months ago after years of failed attempts through AA, where I was constantly rebuked for refusing to accept the need for a "higher power", and refusing to accept that my recovery would depend upon healing from "spiritual sickness". I am now, finally, happily sober. I would also recommend reading "Empowering Your Sober Self", by Martin Nicolaus, for a good secular approach to recovery.

Needless to say, I also find SR to be a wealth of support and resources for recovery. All the best my friends!
Old 03-17-2011, 06:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Joe!