Old 03-17-2011, 08:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Shellcrusher

GG, I was thinking about you today in the elevator. Here's another example like my bad driving story.

These days, people don't let other people walk out of the elevator before they storm in. This is a manners issue. I normally get fired up when they do this. They're busy talking on their cell phone, holding a cup of coffee and whoa as me, I need to move out of there way. Hey. I've already been to the office. I'm already leaving to my first appointment. Just because they're late and pre-occupied doesn't mean they get to bustle their way past me while I'm trying to get off the elevator. I used to feel like this always happened to me. I was expecting it when the elevator hit floor 1. Sure enough it happened. Was I attracting that experience and causing it to happen? I used to think so but now I know I'm not God and I didn't cause it.

How'd I fix it? I don't stand in the back of the elevator. I stand right in front of the door. Right in the middle. I'm 6'2", 260. Little late Lucy ain't busting through me in her morning rush and she won't act rude. Why? I've taken action to let everyone on floor 1 know that I'm coming out before anyone pushes past me. I no longer have the expectation that I will be bullied on the elevator.

Just like we all come to this forum to tell our stories, vent, learn, etc., some of the biggest lessons here deal with control and working on yourself. To me, that means taking actions that I can control. I can apply that concept to bullies, commuters, elevator rudeness, my AW, anything and it works.