Old 03-14-2011, 08:59 PM
  # 245 (permalink)  
tomdecel
Sept 30, 2010

Originally Posted by SwanSong View Post

Congrats on days 164 TDC. When you say 'long' bike ride, how far is that? I'm still getting adjusted to riding my bike, I need to find somewhere I feel comfortable around here biking for a longer distance, or consider lapping this lake out here (it's 5 miles around), not that I'm a distance cyclist but I think it would be fun to use it for that too vs. just to get places!
I am slowly returning to "normalcy". I need to start posting more often, right?

I am training to do a century ride in April. I try to do a couple of them every year and spend three or four months training for them. This way I am not just riding my bike, I am "training" for an event.

The one I am doing April 30 is a run to one of those "legendary" Mexican restaurants in the middle of nowhere in El Centro, CA (farm country). Limited to 150 riders. We ride 100 miles, feast on Mexican food at the end and ride a bus back to the start. There will be a lot of drinking at the restaurant and on the bus ride back (the organizers assure us).

I am already working on my abstention. Instead of seeing myself having two or three beers after the ride like everyone else, I see myself as having two or three pitchers, slobbering all over, totally out of control and peeing on my pants. No way would I do that, so why start with two or three.

Our Sunday club rides are 40 miles +/-, but we have an early bird group that meets 12 to 15 miles from the start an hour earlier AND some of us do an early early bird ride to the EB and then to the start. So by the time we get back to our cars (or homes) we will have put in anywhere from 70 to 90 miles. Last Sunday we did 80 and yesterday was 70 (OK, 69.2).

By the way, I appreciate your comments about the 164 days, but I posted the number just as reference not to pat myself or anything. It is just amazing to me that with all the turmoil in my life in the past 10 days or so, never has getting inTOXICated ever came into my mind. I think this here SR is working for me this time around. Thanks to all for being here.