Old 03-10-2011, 07:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SoFloGuy

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post

You ARE being very exceptionally considerate, though, not to drink around him, yourself. I think that's really nice and supportive.
There may not be a party with him anyway. He seems to be pushing me away. Maybe I liked him more than he liked me. I told him I would be there for him. If i don't hear from him in a week, or maybe less, I am going to tell him that I want to see him, and drop off the dog treats that I keep in my car to give to his great dog every time I am at his house. He never calls me and we only went out once a week.

He has a lot of issues. He's been in bad or unavailable relationships. I told him that if we can't be more than friends, that friends would be fine too. I don't want to push him, but I don't want to be ignored either. I will tell him that I will be there for him and I'm only a call away if he needs anything.

As far as not drinking around him it wouldn't be an issue for me. I'm not a big drinker and haven't even gotten drunk since my early to mid 20's. I don't even like alcohol with dinner. I hate beer with food, but I will have a glass of wine with dinner on occasion if I go out and everyone else is having it.

I have another friend who is an alcoholic or problem drinker (son of alcoholics) , but he seems to get along fine, i think he drinks every day. I've only seen him drink too much once when another alcoholic friend from out of state was visiting our area.

I did have a bad experience on a cruise with a friend who was an extreme alcoholic who never made it to dinner the whole week or spent any time with our group.

I think a common thread with alcoholics I met is that they don't have a car in an area where it is semi-suburban (or needed) and everyone else does.