Old 03-08-2011, 07:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
artsoul
SR Fan

Hi Pearl - I'm an alcoholic (or an "A" as it's know in F&F - whenever I think of being an A, all I can think of is a**hole!)

I read over here from time to time (it reminds me of how much I want/need to stay sober), and I ran across your post. I just had to respond to say that you've already done more than your share of caring for your boyfriend and he knows it.
He said he doesn't want to see me until he's better and for some reason I'm taking a bit of offence with that....and I don't know why
I think it's good that he said this. He's probably overwhelmed with his own failures right now and feeling a lot of shame. If he has time away from your love and support, he might just realize what a mess he is and get some help.

If he does end up going to AA and staying sober, he'll need some space. The first days/weeks can be a bit overwhelming and he'll need to put all his energy into sobriety. He also needs to come to grips with his unemployment. Give him the chance to prove that he's worthy of a relationship with you.

You did the right thing...... you admitted you were human and don't have endless patience (nor should you). Most likely you helped him a great deal.

You sound like a such a caring person (maybe to a fault - I've always felt responsible for others' happiness, too!). Just wanted to give you a hug......:ghug3