Old 03-05-2011, 08:35 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Toronto68

Reggie, I remember thinking you were sounding like you were expecting too much of yourself (getting ahead of yourself) with so little time behind you. That was probably close to 3 months ago.

Since then, I have thought maybe I was no one to talk.

Then I read a story last night about a lady telling a 20-something it must have been nice to have such a high bottom since he hadn't had enough time to become a real alcoholic yet. That confirmed for me I don't need to be so assertive and "certain" about what other people should be doing and when. Maybe I have an idea, maybe I don't.

What you're describing is just one sampling of the kind of thing I know I don't want to subject myself to. I have fairly good memories of the meetings I went to 10 years ago, but maybe not good enough, because I don't plan on attending AA soon. It's all I can do to contend with the bickering and Socratic back-and-forth that goes on here, let alone having people make me feel like an outcast in person. I guess I don't take direction very well. I stopped drinking through my own actions, so I am not going to take lecturing on what I have been doing wrong. I seek out the information I am interested in absorbing into my own work on myself, and that can include someone who uses AA too. (It has included, in fact.)

But that is me. I would be happy with you continuing on with the group. If you can discard the things that bother you and make use of the things that work for you, that would be great. I think you're capable of a lot of honesty, and that counts for me. Vent if you like. I just did!

Good luck as you keep going.