Thread: Scared straight
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2011, 04:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
backontrack76

Scared straight

For the past 5 or so years, I have found my alcohol intake escalate to the point of drinking upwards of 10-20 drinks in one night of drinking. I don't drink everyday, maybe once a week, but it is starting to affect my work as I have done the calling out "sick" when hungover from drinking the night before thing on quite a few occasions. I have missed days of work, doctors appointments, and social engagements because of it. I am single and have always been, so when I get drunk I don't feel lonely or depressed because I am out with others "having fun".

This past week I was out of town for work. Coming in on that Friday was optional at the time but I had agreed to come in for a few hours. Well, I ended up getting so drunk the night before that I never made it in that Friday. What makes this one worse was that the customer was expecting me to be there, albeit not in a capacity that required me to be there. But I said I would be there and I wasn't. Not only does that reflect poorly on my character (as a drunk) but also potentially reflects poorly on the character of my company which in turn could blowback on me.

That is simply one illustration of the potential trouble and dangers my abuse of alcohol has gotten me into. I feel fortunate that I am able to see that I am dangerously close to hitting bottom and have to opportunity to right the ship now before hitting bottom.

So my journey into sobriety starts today and I look forward to reading and hearing everyone's success stories as an inspiration.