Old 03-05-2011, 09:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
nandm
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by EmeraldRose View Post
Ok, I have a question...???...does anyone ever have a spiritual awakening thru other aspects of their lives? Before you started AA? Sometime in your life where an awakening was necessary to process your life?
Can you go into the steps already awakened? Or is that a 'different' type of an awakening?
Good question.

My answer is no I never had a spiritual awakening prior to my experiences in AA. The definition of the spiritual awakening/experience according to the Big Book of AA is: "the personality change sufficient to bring about recovery from alcoholism" this experience "manifested itself among us in many different forms." "With few exceptions our members find that they have tapped an unsuspecting inner resource which they presently identify with their own conception of a Power greater than themselves. Most think this awareness of a Power greater than ourselves is the essence of spiritual experience. Our more religious members call it 'God-consciousness'"

When I look at that definition I have to say no I never had a spiritual awakening/experience prior to working the Steps of AA. I was raised and spent many years in religion but still was not able to stop drinking on religion alone. That power came from working the Steps which led to the Spiritual awakening.

I do hope that answers your question and that I have not derailed this thread by answering it.