View Single Post
Old 03-03-2011, 07:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Lilly1

I'm back and I am exhausted, but I will sleep well knowing he's safe for the weekend. He's been chaptered so he's there until his court date. He's got a sitter. Psych is coming to see him tomorrow along with Infectious disease and Neuro. In true alcoholic fashion, he never mentioned his drinking to the medical staff...just the fact that he attempted suicide by taking 40-50 benedryl tablets. You can bet I cleared up THAT little detail quickly. He's on CIWA (alcohol withdrawl) precautions but so far holding his own.

From what we can gather from texts, police and the nurse, after his 2nd arrest sunday night (we don't know any details about that...just that he was there long after close and his car was the only one left in the parking lot so the cop saw him leave and caught him right away) he got a ride home monday and laid out his plan. He went to the store and bought the bendryl. He did not mention alcohol but I'd be surprised if it wasn't involved in this somewhere; of course I forgot to ask the nurse if he had a positive blood alcohol level, but I'll check tomorrow. He proceeded to take the benedryl Monday night...he told the nurse the 2nd DUI pushed him over the edge. He remembers bits of Tuesday (something about waking up in a closet??), nothing of Wednesday and some of this morning when EMS came. His roommate heard him beating on the bathroom wall and came to see what was happening. My son doesn't remember if he was beating on the wall for help or ??...just that he did realize at one point that if he didn't get help, he was going to die.

He cannot move his right leg/toes; it's painful enough that he's getting morphine for it. His nailbeds were blue in ER. His face....OMG, that's the worst part. He's got a sore/scab under his right nostril and the entire right side of his face is swollen, right eye is swollen shut. His blood indicates an infection. My husband thought he fell or got beat up, but no, no marks or bruising on his face except for the sore. The swelling is either from the benedryl overdose or the sore.

He gave me all his stuff to take (phone, clothes, paperwork) and permission to the nurse to speak to me. My other son, age 22, went thru his texts (AS is aware) and his responses to people pretty much ended Tuesday. When he did respond to people on Monday, it was all lies about how he was hung up with something, needed to switch hours, blah blah. Work texted him several times after and he never responded...so, I don't know if he'll have a job after this. My 22 y.o did sent a text to the friend that he works with so I'm sure between the friend and room mate (who also works at the same place), someone there will be notified. All my AS said was that he saw a really angry email from his boss and he said "I guess they don't understand where I've been all day".

I am too tired to think of the future at this point. I pray the psychiatrist can get thru to him or start him on an antidepressant or SOMETHING. I have no idea if this is his bottom or not. He is very remorseful and had none of the hate for me that he's had for the last month. He seems confused and disconnected right now (which is why I wanted to clarify if they gave him anything) but I suppose what he did has a way with messing a person up. He's very sleepy.

I pray to my HP that He is setting the path for my AS's future. I pray that he is protected. I pray this was his bottom. It's hard to see your "baby" in a hospital bed and not want to save him. I'm shocked that he went so far down so very fast.

Thank you for the prayers and hugs and for listening. You guys are the main people I have to lean on for this. I have a few close friends who are aware of everything, but they lack the experience I find here. You are all fantastic