View Single Post
Old 03-03-2011, 01:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Shellcrusher

Originally Posted by Alone22 View Post
...I understand what it means to be co-dependent and I have changed all I can. I understand that I am helpless when it comes to his illness, but now I just feel helpless period...
Hello and welcome to SR. Here's the good news. You're not alone here. We get it. I know a few stories of some moms who overcame almost similar circumstances as you and I'm sure they'll come along and post up. Heck one of them just finished their college work and posted about it today.

I quoted a few sentences from your original post. I'm sure I used to think and feel the same way. I may have even said the same thing as you. Now I can say it differently. Let me quote you but make a small adjustment to the words. If you like it, try it on for size. See how it feels.

I understand what it means to be co-dependent and I'm currently making tons of changes. I understand that while my AW seems helpless to her disease, I can be in absolute control of my own recovery, and because of this, I don't feel so helpless anymore.