View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011, 04:11 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

To some of the respondants.......

IF you're truly alcoholic, you CAN'T control your drinking for long - it's not a viable solution for the real alcoholic - period.

hendrixstrat, 3 weeks is .......well, it's 3 weeks. It's a good start - hopefully it works for the rest of your life cuz your life might just depend upon it. Heck, if not drinking, or moderating your drinking works.....and you're life is getting better....and you can keep doing it.......the keep doing it.

For me, moderating doesn't work but "not drinking" doesn't work either. I'm a real alcoholic and my problem is NOT rooted in drinking. My problem centers in the mind, in selfishness and self-centeredness and in lack of power. Drinking is just an outward manifestation of a whole lotta stuff going on inside - dry OR wet. For me, the line "to die an alcoholic death or live upon a spiritual basis" has a lot of truth in it.

"The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of very abnormal drinker. The persistence of this illusion is astonishing. Many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death."

Granted, not everyone is an alcoholic. Not everyone in AA is an alcoholic. And not everyone on this website is an alcoholic. I know MY truth.....I hope the rest of you folks are (or get) clear on yours.