View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 09:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
StarCat
Today is a New Day

My parents are pushy, and keep expecting me to do things because they want me to, whether or not I actually want to do them or feel that I should. They've always wanted me to be exactly who they wanted me to be - especially my mother.

I know they mean well, so I do not hold it against them, but I also recognize that this means I need to limit my contact with them to a point where I feel comfortable. (I also recognize that it is okay to be angry with her behavior when something happens, as long as I deal with it in a healthy manner - it is not good to keep things bottled up inside.)

I went about two years talking to them as infrequently as possible, and I think that time made them realize that if they do not allow me to be me around them, then I just won't be around them - hmm, imagine that? So while they are still pushy, they are less pushy than usual, and if I put my foot down about something, they back off now.

Their motives, I am sure, have more to do with not alienating me completely rather than with allowing me to live my own life, but at this point how they treat me is more important than the "why," and for the first time I can talk to them upon occasion and yet still have my peace and quiet.