View Single Post
Old 02-24-2011, 06:03 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Tuffgirl

More OT

Originally Posted by tjp613 View Post
This is way off topic, but I remember when I was young and naive and I'd go to the liquor store to buy a bottle of whatever...and there'd be somebody cruising the aisles loading up their shopping cart with huge bottles of vodka, bourbon, etc. and I'd think, "Wow, they must be having a big party!" Now I size up every patron I see in a liquor store! ... the 60 yr old 'housewife' in the store before 11:00a, the businessman with the huge gut and red nose coming out with a big bottle at 5:15, the guy in line at the convenience store with two 'tall boys' just for the ride home.... I wonder....

I also wonder how sad it must be to work in a liquor store or bar and see the 'regulars' deteriorating month by month

I think they should have AA brochures mandatorily placed by the cash registers just like they have those signs in Vegas that say "Do You Have a Gambling Problem? Call 1-800-whatever."
Has anyone here noticed the way most liquor stores are set up? I was in one the other day (buying my stout) and as I was standing in line, for the first time I noticed the lay out and how conducive it is to alcoholics. The airplane size bottles were in a nice big rack right at the cash register; an easy grab at check out (and an easy way to drink on the drive home); behind the register was all the expensive labels, backlit on glass shelves so the booze just glowed.

Another store had the big bottles lined up along one aisle all at eye level. The beer is at the very back of the store - one must walk by everything else to get to the cheap stuff.

Anyone just musing on the totally off topic post! I am amazed each day at how much more I notice that I never gave thought to before.