View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 04:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Jfanagle
Another Day in Paradise

If you are involved with AA you may want to reflect on the "promises" and note that one of them is:
"No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others. That feeling of uselessness and self-pity will disappear. We will lose interest in selfish things and gain interest in our fellows. Self-seeking will slip away. Our whole attitude and outlook upon life will change. Fear of people and of economic insecurity will leave us." -The Book of Alcoholics Anonymous

Note that it says "fear" of economic insecurity will leave us, not economic insecurity. That comes and goes just like prosperity. Good times come to "civilians" as well as us alkies. Bad times as well are no respecter of alcohol use. I have always taken solace in the fact that whether it be good times or bad, I am better prepared to do my BEST when not drunk. I have been on top and right now am much closer to the bottom of the economic ladder than a few years ago and all this has occurred while I have been sober these past years.

I sympathize with you, many a time I wanted to call "someone" and complain that "hey, I am sober so what's the deal? The deal is apparently that life is a funny old dog sometimes and we just have to do our best. My best is done sober!

Just my thoughts. God Bless and keep your chin up.

Jon