View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011, 07:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
brokenheartfool

I think the hardest lesson for all of us on this planet in this life is that we can't control the behaviors of others.
It doesn't matter if they are our spouse, or our crying 2 day old baby. We still fail at controlling others.
In the spousal relationship this truth is particularly difficult because it is a partner relationship, and their choices affect our lives, and vise versa.

That said, there's only, imho, one approach to these types of difficulties. That is to have a conversation in which you explain how YOU FEEL.
For example: I feel like avoiding festivals and other social events because I am afraid that you will get too drunk. I would like for you to take into consideration that I feel that way. It is up to you to decide if you're drinking is out of control on these occasions, but this is how it makes ME FEEL. How do you feel about me feeling this way? I understand that you don't always drink too much, but do you agree that you sometimes do? Let's talk about it and see if we can find a compromise.
The approach above I think is trying to not be accusatory without avoiding the facts. It is important that any issue in a marriage not be a battle of wills.

He can choose to care how you feel, and if so, then have a conversation without a battle. It doesn't matter if it is alcohol or socks on the floor.
He can choose to immediately reject and dismiss your feelings. If he does, then you have to keep trying to get through to him. People avoid hearing what they don't want to acknowledge.
The trick to any conflict with any person is to avoid it being a situation in which one person is "right" and the other person is "wrong" or it becoming a battle of wills in which one person is going to "win" and the other person "lose". Any conflict needs to be approached in a gentle non-threatening or controlling manner, and then hopefully! the other person will LISTEN to what you are saying.
From there you can figure out how well the two of you handle conflict resolution, and discuss working on conflict resolution TOGETHER, without a battle.
If a person is approached in a non-controlling manner, they usually listen. Usually being the operative word, because an active alcoholic often won't listen to the reasoning of a sober spouse, but we don't know if he is alcoholic or not at this point.
If communication is unproductive, on any issue after numerous attempts, then marital counseling is in order to have a mediator to help the communication along.
If he does have a problem with alcohol, then it is up to him to realize and acknowledge that, you can't do it for him. He will simply dig his stubborn heels in and you will have more conflict without resolution.