View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011, 04:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
UniqueNewYork

I see this problem over and over again among we alcoholics. I too was terrible about this. I remember early in my drinking career there would be house parties available for me to go to, and I just could not make it work unless I was lit, at which point I felt like I could socialize. Unfortunately I would go beyond that point on many occasions to obnoxious drunk and eventually passed out. Sometimes I got lucky and people would laugh it off the next day. Other times I lost close friends.

Sobriety will cure a lot of this issue for you as well as just natural maturity that comes with age. I am almost 30 and not the same person I was as when I first picked up. You'll see me quite often state this again and again, but I could not be happy and free without working out (lifting weights) and some self help tapes among other things.

I was typically the smallest kid in my class growing up and I think I still have some little-man complex. Not so much a height issue but I was always underweight for a male. I didn't fit in well in school, but I did have a couple of friends, which I felt fortunate for. Anyway fast forward to today. I lift weights and I'm much more attractive for that, and I feel the benefits inside. I don't feel like an ugly duckling anymore so to speak. Even beyond the physical though, alcohol robs us of our true charisma. You know I have met some people who were not physically that attractive but once they started talking their charisma would just bubble over and you would love to be around them. I don't feel like any of us can be that charismatic person with alcohol. Also if you have problems socializing self help tapes are great. I do various things today that I used to do the opposite of. These include looking people in the eye when I talk to them, standing to face them, moving in a little closer to show interest, waiting for my turn to speak, speaking optimistically, removing any barriers like clipboards from between us, starting conversations, etc.