View Single Post
Old 02-20-2011, 08:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
atalose

Welcome Habit,

You have found a great place to come and vent and learn and get help dealing with this extremely difficult situation called addiction. This has been a godsend place for me and even if I don’t post often it has helped to learn and grow.

She’s still using so it’s the active addict sending you emails, sending you cards and what ever the deal is with address changes. I found myself years ago falling right into all the manipulation traps. I didn’t know and I didn’t understand. My heart wanted to believe ever word he said, those words keep giving me hope that there was a chance he’d recovery and active addiction would no longer rule our lives.

What I learned either the hard way by personally experiencing it or by reading here is that they are just words, tools used by an active addict to remain exactly where they are – using.

Actions are everything and the only action we the loved ones need to witness is them surrendering to addiction then following through with a plan. Actually taking steps on their own by their own free will to step into recovery then remain there.

Cards, flowers, gifts, money and talk don’t get them clean or keep them clean.

I think it’s a courageous step you have taken for yourself against your daughters addiction. Keep being strong and keep reminding yourself of what you do know, she is still using – period.

Hang in there, we are all here for you.