View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011, 06:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
MemphisBlues

Welcome to SR and way to go on three days.

You and I are alike -- pot then booze then benzos and then all three. And here I am, working on six months of sobriety. You can do it, especially with three days under your hat. That's awesome.

The clarity of mind can be a haunting and a blessing.

Of all the associates you have, maybe you can pick those closest to you and tell them that you're "just giving sobriety a try."

When they want to go out, remind them what you're doing. In the meantime, I really suggest AA or NA -- they're both the same.

You'll never enter a room and be instantly welcomed as you will in the rooms of an AA meeting. Go a little early. Shake some hands. Let it be known it's your first meeting. And see what happens.

I think it could just be something magical. I could be wrong. But for some reason, I doubt it.

In the meantime, hang out here. Read the threads. Respond to those that speak to you. Ask for help. Ask just to be acknowledged that you're alive, struggling, and looking for someone to chat with. Send out some personal messages. Sit back and watch this magic work, too.

I must say, only because of my personal experience with benzos, to be on the look out for some serious withdrawals -- that is if you were on them for some time on a daily basis and taking a significant amount. You might want to check out this site -- benzobuddies.org.

In the meantime, good luck. It's a fight, but a great fight, one you can win. It just takes work.

Please stay in touch.

MB