Old 02-14-2011, 11:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
StarCat
Today is a New Day

Originally Posted by Live View Post
They are watching a show and he likes a particular music. She finds something they have in common for a nice change (whew!) and so attempts to share. He finds out it isn't new to her, she all ready has it and likes it..so he denigrates it. And she feels like he is being an a$$ because she was trying to come from a nice place.
Agreed. The incident itself is minor, not a big deal.
The context, though, changes everything.

When my XABF was in one of his alcohol-induced "moods," he'd frequently start giant tirades against computers, and how technology ruined the world (so far, while he exaggerates, we're on a similar page on the topic), and (wait for it...) how it's all my fault because my generation grew up with them so I can't see how they were invented by the devil.

I know about computers, sure. I used to be rather a geek myself, and I learned a lot trying to keep my first computer running in college (you haven't lived until you've had a computer that required you to manually install both hard drives before it would boot Windows). That said, I don't really have anything fancy, aside from my almost-top-of-the-line-when-I-bought-it four-year-old laptop.

But the point is, I knew more than he did. He always thanked me for helping - then gave me an earful when he decided to get drunk under the premise that "he couldn't take it anymore."
And it was always because I knew the answer, and he didn't, and that was not allowed.

I laugh about it now, because he had no idea what he was talking about half the time... But it was extremely stressful at the time, being yelled at about things I didn't cause, and getting an earful about all the people who let "My Face" and "Spacebook" control their lives, etc...