Old 02-14-2011, 07:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
laurie6781
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

He only said the doc said, "a touch of bipolar disorder"
I am having a real hard time wrapping my brain around this one. Any doctor 'worth his/her salt' will not even attempt to make this type of diagnosis until the individual has all the 'toxins' out of their system and are working some type of program of recovery. The norm seems to be 6 months to a year.

The reason being that addiction can 'mimic' so many types of mental illness that Drs are hesitant to put 'labels' on someone too early in recovery.

Now by Drs I do mean psych doctors.

I suffered greatly my first NINE years in recovery with all the 'highs' and 'lows' until I was ready to commit myself to a padded cell. It was only then I was diagnosed as Bi Polar, and then it took another 5 years of trial and error with medications, and a lot of work on my part to get my Bi Polar basically 'in check' most of the time.

Either way, whether what he is exhibiting are the 'normal' highs and lows of early recovery or if there may be some Bi Polar involved, you certainly do not have to subject you and your children to this. He can still come to the hospital when your child has the surgery on the 23rd, he just doesn't have to be living in your home.

Good thoughts and prayers going out to you and your family.

Love and hugs,