Old 02-12-2011, 08:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Tuffgirl

Originally Posted by duqld1717 View Post
This is sooooo my previous relationship with my ex!! Not only did he have a drinking problem he was an Avoidance Addict as well. Everytime I wanted to get more serious or make plans with him for the future or ask for more commitment, he crawled in a hole and couldnt get away from me fast enough!! Makes so much sense to me now. I love that I learned a new term today-Avoidance Addict. We should start a new thread on this term.
Yep - I hear ya and agree with the thread!

I am still plowing through the links - have been reading on and off all day today. These are great sites... thanks again for sharing them.

This one really speaks to me right now:

Normal defense mechanisms of particular importance in the maintenance of addictive disease include denial, paranoid projection, avoidance, isolation of affect, rationalization and intellectualization. In the psychodynamic hierarchy of mental defense mechanisms denial and paranoid projection are regarded as psychotic defenses because their fundamental character involves a severe disruption of reality testing that causes the afflicted individual to lose touch with consensual reality and to dwell increasingly in a world and reality of his own. Individuals relying heavily upon primitive psychotic mental defense mechanisms such as denial and paranoid projection are relatively or even wholly inaccessible to corrective influences such as logic, data, or the opinions of others. One therefore cannot reason them out of their beliefs or persuade them to change their minds, regardless of how compelling the contrary data and reasons might seem to anyone but the individual 'in denial.'

No more and no more

There is NO POINT, is there?! For some reason, this feels very freeing. I am not the crazy one, after all. *phew* I really did believe that for a while!