View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 09:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
StarCat
Today is a New Day

You did the right thing.

My XABF was so sweet and understanding when we first started going out. He always took me to fancy dinners, he always got dressed up, he told me how "special" I was, how much I understood him, how much he understood me, he'd always buy me flowers, and it wasn't long before he made it clear that he wanted to marry me once he got his bills "sorted out."
It all went downhill from there, and the XABF I know now is a bitter, emotionally and verbally abusive controlling man who came very close to crossing the line to being physically abusive, and who has only respected my "no contact" so far because I blocked his phone from calling me, he's afraid to be fired for sexual harassment at work (the psychologist said he would be if he tried to contact me at work), and he got in an accident shortly after getting out of inpatient rehab for alcoholism and was in the hospital for two weeks.

You escaped. Congratulations!

I'd also suggest you take a look at this list, because I recognized a few from what you were typing above, and there might be a few other warning signs that you never even thought to post:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...sal-abuse.html

And btw, Happy Birthday, four days in advance.
2 9 7
:day
(There are so many great birthday ones, I couldn't decide.)