View Single Post
Old 02-08-2011, 07:40 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
kilt

Originally Posted by sailorjohn View Post
Holding someones' hand while they drink themselves to death would be a little more than harsh, imo.
Absolutely, she's an adult. Adults take responsibility for the choices they make, right?
And, we stop drinking. But I do understand where you're coming from, you're the one with the drinking problem, correct? Thing is, this is the Friends & Family Forum. Probably inappropriate for you to be commenting here, especially from your perspective.
That was the metaphor you chose, I thought the "milk and Mommy" thing was spot on and nowhere near the phrase you used, you may or may not appreciate what I'm going to tell you next. My ex-an alcoholic/crack addict-used almost the same phrase with me on more than one occasion, I was treating her like a 'piece of sh*t' simply because I was leaving her. And I was leaving for the usual reasons, self preservation being number one, and the second being that I wasn't helping by treating her like a spoiled child, not allowing her to experience the natural consequences of her choices.Apologies to the OP for the hijack.
SJ, It seems very simple to me that you do not change the rules of a friendship (they are friends. exes can be friends) without letting people know. If it bothers you, I have as much street cred, unfortunately, to post here as you.

I agree that she should experience consequences. This guy is not a d**k and I would like to think that since he has decided to put a stop to his generous driving services that he will have the kindness to let her know ahead of time.