Old 02-08-2011, 04:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Bamboozle
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by Starryknight View Post
I am wondering if Prozac at 8 years sober contributed, in the end, to relapse at 23 years sober. I felt SO much better on prozac. Nothing bothered me. No need to work the steps (except 10, 11,12 which I slowly did less and less ) I had horrible depression that Prozac lifted for a long time. Guess what? It stopped working. I kept trying to get it to work again. Tried other anti-depressants. Didn't work. Sound familiar. E.g. It stopped working (as-alcohol, etc. Sometimes does).
From Prozac, it was easy to justify trying other prescription meds. Eventually convinced myself I could use lorazepam, then ambient, finally Adderall and finally, back to alcohol.
Did anti-depressants lead me down a garden path to eventual relapse? Possibly, yes.
I have depression but due to my alcoholic and addict condition, At this point I think even sanctioned meds are killers for me. It's a double edge sword.
I'm hoping constant working of the steps can save my life. If not, I am probably screwed.

Please, oh please, talk to your doctor about all of this. I've already switched meds several times in the last two years...without meds I get suicidal thoughts. Not being on them is NOT an option for me...I cannot imagine trying to live life through that kind of hell. Never again. Whenever what I'm currently on fails, I'll get the dosage adjusted or try something different again, as frustrating as that is. For me to not be medicated will lead to certain premature death.