Old 02-07-2011, 05:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
LetsGoJets
Ch5 HOW

Originally Posted by Starryknight View Post
I am wondering if Prozac at 8 years sober contributed, in the end, to relapse at 23 years sober. I felt SO much better on prozac. Nothing bothered me. No need to work the steps (except 10, 11,12 which I slowly did less and less ) I had horrible depression that Prozac lifted for a long time. Guess what? It stopped working. I kept trying to get it to work again. Tried other anti-depressants. Didn't work. Sound familiar. E.g. It stopped working (as-alcohol, etc. Sometimes does).
From Prozac, it was easy to justify trying other prescription meds. Eventually convinced myself I could use lorazepam, then ambient, finally Adderall and finally, back to alcohol.
Did anti-depressants lead me down a garden path to eventual relapse? Possibly, yes.
I have depression but due to my alcoholic and addict condition, At this point I think even sanctioned meds are killers for me. It's a double edge sword.
I'm hoping constant working of the steps can save my life. If not, I am probably screwed.

I want to start this post by saying please do not take anything I say from a medical view and please consult your physician if you have any concerns about medications.

Now...........my experience-- when I got sober I was mandated to treatment and I saw a counselor and a doctor at the place I was put in. They diagnosed me with depression and mood disorder (this was with less than a week sober....LOL).....so I went on meds in the beginning and they worked great. I felt better, nothing really bothered me too much, but the problem was that they STOPPED working. Treating my alcoholism with anti-depressants did not work because I suffer from a spiritual malady, which has many symptoms SIMILAR to depression, but it is not depression. I am off the meds now for quite a while and I am very serious about 10, 11 & 12. It works FOR ME. I am happy joyous and free and I owe it all to constantly seeking God and helping others. Great stuff for me....the answer was not in a pill for me.