Old 02-02-2011, 03:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
atalose

I am going to continue in al-anon at my home group for awhile, no major changes in any part of my life right now I think is wise. My dad’s alcoholism progressed after he retired and my ex is the one who helped me walk through those doors. Over the years the program has really helped in all aspects of my life, friends, work, neighbors and just relating to life in a healthy way all together.

I’ve also been to therapy, after my divorce my children and myself went to seek counseling and she was great with the kids which was the main focus. I chose to try therapy again years ago after my exbf’s first relapse, my out of control 15 year old niece was dumped on my doorstep and both my parents were facing major medical issues. My first reaction to this therapist was that she was condescending and cold but I went for a few more sessions thinking it was me. Well after 5 sessions she wanted me to just get over the ex and stay away from any future alcoholics/addicts, she wanted me to just send my niece back exactly the way she came – put her on an airplane and after it takes off, call her mother and tell her mother to go pick her up at the airport. She wanted me to hire a health aid to deal with my parents illnesses and simple just get on with my life!!!

Maybe a counselor who specializes in addictions would be worth looking into. All I know is that addiction is not the only issue facing me, I have others and I do know I need help in sorting it all out. SR has been a wonderful resource, a tremendous part of my support system and I thank all of you for being there with me on my journey.