Old 02-02-2011, 08:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sojourner

Hunkering down waiting for the storm to be spent

Like this "blizzard," I am hunkering down regarding my AS, my detachment from him, with my main topic of communication with him being that he's got a problem with drugs and alcohol and until he's ready to get help for that I've got nothing for him (except for that traumatic eye injury), and waiting for the consequences of his decisions to hopefully move him into active, meaningful sobriety.

But I feel a tad guilty as well as sad today. I've been talking to my other 2 grown children about how they are weathering the storm but have intentionally not contacted this AS. I miss him. I miss having a relationship with this third son. I miss not being able to call him and say, "Hey, if you are out of power, I've got mine - come on over." He is the only one who lives close to me - my other children are hours and hours away.

And yet, on the other hand, I was cleaning out some things the other day and came across some of his old school things that I have saved. And I said to myself, "Well, it seems like I could throw some of this out, but if he dies they will really mean a lot to me."

And this too, like the winter storm, shall pass. To every thing there is a season.

God please take care of all those struggling with drugs/alcohol - especially those who are in denial.

Random thoughts on a snowed-in day.