View Single Post
Old 01-30-2011, 08:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Learn2Live
To thine own self be true.

Welcome to SR Marlin. I'm so glad that you found us, that you're getting something out of reading here, and that you've shared your story. I very strongly identify with it, as my brother was in active addiction to pain pills for about 15 years (which also began as a result of back surgery meds). It makes sense to me that your spouse switched to alcohol abuse at some point, because I also witnessed switching with my brother. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) he switched from prescription drugs to street drugs once the prescription drug supply was cut off. It was hell to watch and he was insane to deal with. I recognize the constant turmoil in your posts.

Please know that even though you do not see your spouse beating or abusing the kids, those little children ARE affected by living in the same household as an active drug user and alcohol abuser. There are many Adult Children, including me, who can and have provided testimony to the damages living with these people cause.

I know you at this time feel that you can control, cure or fix this but I ask you to consider the children. Sooner or later your constant vigilance will wear you down and you will seek another way. Sometimes, though, unforeseen occurrences may shake you to acceptance. Please do try to get to AlAnon.

(((hugs))) and care; we are here to support you. Please keep reading and posting here.