Old 01-30-2011, 06:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Bamboozle
I got nothin'

What recovery means for those with depression

I'd like other depressed people's thoughts on this one.

Here's what it means to me:

Getting sober made life much worse. The suicidal thoughts were overwhelming. I finally admitted to myself that I was having serious problems and reached out for help. I told my doctor and he set me up with a therapist. I had relapsed by the time I saw her--she refused to recommend to my doc to put me on meds until I got sober. In less than a week I got sober--went back to see her and got put on meds. I've been sober since...although I do admit I did stop taking my meds this past September--wow, that was stupid--but I'm back on them now.

I had problems before I ever picked up booze. I had sought help for about a year before I drank. Nothing helped at that time--the therapy process was unfamiliar to me and I couldn't be honest with myself because I was scared.

Several years and tons of booze later I came to a crossroads of sorts. Either drink or kill myself. That's when it hit me that something was very wrong. I got help and I'm glad that I did.

Recovery for me isn't feeling like life is bunnies, kittens and flowers. I'll be the first to admit I miss drinking...well, the good effects, not the negatives. I don't feel a peace inside that others seem to feel. Recovery for me is making sure I take care of my depression. When my depression is in check it is much easier for me to stay sober. Living with depression means a life of managing. The 'recovery' is doing the work necessary to be and feel the best that I possibly can.

This is why I hope depressed sober people don’t get discouraged. It’s okay to feel like crap--just don’t let feeling like crap dominate your life. Talk to your therapist and your doctor. Keep adjusting and changing. Don’t settle for the abyss.