View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 10:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Julesandshoes

I Have Been There and SUCCESSFULLY Done it!!!
I was prescribed Xanax, as a Daily Treatment Med! A year into it, after neglecting to refill my RX before a weekend get away, I was in the ER the next night; and I thought I was having a heart attack & convinced, I was dying. When the ER attending told me it was chemical withdrawal due to suddenly stopping Xanax. I cried & cried...felt like I had been Lied too, & petrified that I physically needed the drug. In my case, my Dr was NOT an advocate for me to Stop Xanax (in a sensible, weening over time way.) He Insisted: "I am prescribing this to address a very Real issue, & to work in conjunction with your other medications. I Do not believe there is a benefit for you to Not be on this drug, & Strongly Advise you continue with my RX regiment." So, I stayed on it: 1 mg 3x Daily, for 6 Years.
I repeatedly brought up replacing the Benzo with a non-benz: a med for longterm treatment vs something that was truly, never meant to be a Long-Term Use Medication.
Finally: after another ER trip (when I ran out over a long holiday weekend) I decided for Myself, I would NOT be on this medication. You can get a physician who will set up a longterm weening schedule for you: When done correctly, you Do Not Experience the withdrawal & sickness associated with Benzo Withdrawl.
You HAVE to be Dedicated to getting off this med, & follow the dosing Exactly, during the weening process. But you are weening off over 3, 6, or 12 months; It isn't a rapid shock to your system, you will not have the freak outs, sick, tics, etc. A Dr. will devise a Safe, Comfortable, regiment to get you off. If You don't think you could stick to the reduced dose schedule, while having a full RX in front of you: Enlist a friend or family member to hold your script, & give you your meds on schedule. One of the hardest part of this med, Aside from the pain & horror of cold turkey: Is the FEAR of the Withdrawl!!
My Doctor Did NOT want me to discontinue regular use if this med. He was adamant. I was Equally Determind I would NOT continue a medication that had questionable treatment benefits, & was a Neccesity to "Have" if on it period.
I researched Everything Out there about Xanax: That only made me MORE Determind to NOT be on this drug, period. Unfortunately: My Dr was not an advocate nor willing to assist with my cessation of this med. (My use was never "situational" nor "recreational"; I have Always been on this RX under the Advise & FULL Support of my Physician.)
With or Without the Psychological Addiction to this medication: You Can Stop!!! It is Not the Painful, Free falling down the Rabbit Hole, Freaky Painful experience most believe it has to be, or experienced previously. With a long-term Step Down schedule, & if needed, a Treatment Med for Anxiety that does not have the pitfalls of Benzos, can be added in your regiment for SaFE! Support if you need it. (Cymbalta, gabapentin, etc...Consult & Really talk with your Dr about what you need for support, & what they think is the best support.) Even if you & your Dr decide to WEEN & supplement Support RX, over 12 mo. It is 12 months where you are Proactively moving forward to remove Xanax from your life! There is Absolutely Hope for you. IF You are using Xanax as part of an overall Addictive Behavior, with other substances, & do not feel you can "Self Regulate" dosing: Ask for help. Your fear, I think? Is someone Taking Control of your Cessation & Mandating you go through the Aweful Withdrawl. Seek a physician to do this "With You", Not dictate a plan. I Am Not giving Medical Advice, But this is what worked for me & was not painful, uncomfortable, or Scary?...as I had experienced when I ran out, or irresponsibly Decided to Self Stop & just Suck Up the Withdrawl. My Best wishes & prayers, and good juju in the first Step to Regaining You: Benzos Really insidiously shut off, part of who you are. I think you will Really enjoy getting to know that part of you again! Huge Hugs, & I'm here for you!