Notices

Anyone feel "normal" after xanax?

Old 01-20-2010, 07:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Anyone feel "normal" after xanax?

I've been on xanax for 15+ years & am terrifed to quit. I've done it before in rehab & was clean for about 3 months. That was 8 yrs ago. I never felt normal, it was like I was out of my body!! Couldn't hardly sleep, form a complete thought, god forbid have an intellegent conversation!!! it never got any better
I want to stop more than anything!!! Does anyone here relate??? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help!?!?!
Old 01-20-2010, 08:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

First of all, I hope you're quitting under a doctor's supervision. Benzos detox can be dangerous and should not be done alone.

Second, I've often heard (through treatment) that it takes approximately a month for every year of use before brain function returns to normal -- so, it could take as long as fifteen months. I used various substances for 25 years. My memory was scrambled. At a year, I still couldn't seem to hold two thoughts together. Two months shy of two years, I returned to college and did quite well. So, it might feel like it takes forever, but really, it doesn't.

For some of us, it takes time for sleep patterns to return to normal, too. If you're coming off this because it's a problem (and if you detoxed eight years ago, I assume there's some problem?), the longer you wait, the longer it will take.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 01-20-2010, 09:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

If feeling normal means not being passed out on the floor then yes.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Eventually

Hi!

I am speaking from indirect experience. I am addicted to heroin, but my mom was addicted to xanax for 10 years. She had physical withdrawal symptoms for 2 months. Then, she continued to have symptoms in varying intensity off and on for another 4 months. Then, almost miraculously, they were all gone. She said that every great once and awhile there would be a wave of depression/anxiety/craving, but she would try to busy herself to take her mind off of it, and it would go away as quickly as it came.

It will probably be the same for you. Benzos are a *itch to get off, because they build up in the blood and take soooo long to get out of the system. You made it 3 months before, which is INCREDIBLE!! But, you were [/I]just[/I] getting started. You had just finished the hardest part. The next month things would have been better, and then the next month even better, etc.

I know it doesn't sound very encouraging thinking about that long road ahead, but it will be worth it. Trust me, my mom couldn't remember ANYTHING and would just generally be checked out all the time. I couldn't communicate with her at all. After those first 6 months, it was like having the mother I had before xanax. She said that at first when she came home all of her senses were on overload. She couldn't stand the volume, smell, taste, etc of things because her senses had been dulled for so long. She would have to have my dad take her hands and literally make her get up and take a walk everyday even though she felt like she couldn't. She's been clean for 19 years now!!!!

She won't even take tylenol unless it is an emergency.

You can do it!!
Old 01-21-2010, 02:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for responding. I haven't started to detox yet, I know I can't do it alone. Im considering checking into Florida Detox center for a 7 day rapid detox then maybe to a halfway house/soberliving place. I've been in the program before & in Rehab 3X's so I know what I must do. Just scared to start the process again, Im a single mother with an amazing 7yr old son i dont want to leave him.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If I may .......it isn't the benzos in our systems that make the withdrawal hard, but just the opposite; it's the lack of benzos.

I know this from withdrawal after withdrawal.

Yes, benzo withdrawal is a B!tch........I couldn't agree more.

I am sorry your addicted to heroin 2forthepriceof1, please hang around with us addicts.
Perhaps we can help.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I just took my 3rd xanax. Never took it before. I am suppose to take it on a as needed basis it is the lowest dosage so I am wary of taking it too often. But since I just started and it is to help me withe stress of the new job that I have been making my self sick over as I need the job. I was starting to self medicate again with alcohol and did not want that. Was afraid of going in to work a little tipsy or not going in at all.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Benzo withdrawel did suck but damn i can think again and actually wake up in the mornings without wanting to pass out and go back to sleep.....thank god!
Old 06-30-2010, 10:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
rock bottom.

Benzo withdrawal for me is just terrifying. I lay in bed all day, sweating and getting sick constantly. I can't eat anything, I can't sleep properly. I'll literally wake up every hour like, "Are you serious?"

When I don't have it, I don't even feel normal then. I feel as if my body just isn't up to power. Then I take it and it's weird, I get a sudden rush then a boost of energy, followed by the amazing drowsiness that I love the most. I love having that feeling. I want to quit to bad, just as you do. If you ever need any help, please PM me! We can work through this together.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

are you doing this with a Dr, Hydra?

cos Sugah made a great point - it is dangerous coming off benzos and should not be done alone.

D
Old 06-30-2010, 10:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
rock bottom.

I know it's very dangerous coming off of benzo's, but no I'm not doing this with a doctor. Since it's not my prescription I can't go rat my parents out for giving them to me willingly. That would get them in loads of trouble. The way I look at it.. if anything goes wrong, I'll handle it like I've always handled things.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I Have Been There and SUCCESSFULLY Done it!!!
I was prescribed Xanax, as a Daily Treatment Med! A year into it, after neglecting to refill my RX before a weekend get away, I was in the ER the next night; and I thought I was having a heart attack & convinced, I was dying. When the ER attending told me it was chemical withdrawal due to suddenly stopping Xanax. I cried & cried...felt like I had been Lied too, & petrified that I physically needed the drug. In my case, my Dr was NOT an advocate for me to Stop Xanax (in a sensible, weening over time way.) He Insisted: "I am prescribing this to address a very Real issue, & to work in conjunction with your other medications. I Do not believe there is a benefit for you to Not be on this drug, & Strongly Advise you continue with my RX regiment." So, I stayed on it: 1 mg 3x Daily, for 6 Years.
I repeatedly brought up replacing the Benzo with a non-benz: a med for longterm treatment vs something that was truly, never meant to be a Long-Term Use Medication.
Finally: after another ER trip (when I ran out over a long holiday weekend) I decided for Myself, I would NOT be on this medication. You can get a physician who will set up a longterm weening schedule for you: When done correctly, you Do Not Experience the withdrawal & sickness associated with Benzo Withdrawl.
You HAVE to be Dedicated to getting off this med, & follow the dosing Exactly, during the weening process. But you are weening off over 3, 6, or 12 months; It isn't a rapid shock to your system, you will not have the freak outs, sick, tics, etc. A Dr. will devise a Safe, Comfortable, regiment to get you off. If You don't think you could stick to the reduced dose schedule, while having a full RX in front of you: Enlist a friend or family member to hold your script, & give you your meds on schedule. One of the hardest part of this med, Aside from the pain & horror of cold turkey: Is the FEAR of the Withdrawl!!
My Doctor Did NOT want me to discontinue regular use if this med. He was adamant. I was Equally Determind I would NOT continue a medication that had questionable treatment benefits, & was a Neccesity to "Have" if on it period.
I researched Everything Out there about Xanax: That only made me MORE Determind to NOT be on this drug, period. Unfortunately: My Dr was not an advocate nor willing to assist with my cessation of this med. (My use was never "situational" nor "recreational"; I have Always been on this RX under the Advise & FULL Support of my Physician.)
With or Without the Psychological Addiction to this medication: You Can Stop!!! It is Not the Painful, Free falling down the Rabbit Hole, Freaky Painful experience most believe it has to be, or experienced previously. With a long-term Step Down schedule, & if needed, a Treatment Med for Anxiety that does not have the pitfalls of Benzos, can be added in your regiment for SaFE! Support if you need it. (Cymbalta, gabapentin, etc...Consult & Really talk with your Dr about what you need for support, & what they think is the best support.) Even if you & your Dr decide to WEEN & supplement Support RX, over 12 mo. It is 12 months where you are Proactively moving forward to remove Xanax from your life! There is Absolutely Hope for you. IF You are using Xanax as part of an overall Addictive Behavior, with other substances, & do not feel you can "Self Regulate" dosing: Ask for help. Your fear, I think? Is someone Taking Control of your Cessation & Mandating you go through the Aweful Withdrawl. Seek a physician to do this "With You", Not dictate a plan. I Am Not giving Medical Advice, But this is what worked for me & was not painful, uncomfortable, or Scary?...as I had experienced when I ran out, or irresponsibly Decided to Self Stop & just Suck Up the Withdrawl. My Best wishes & prayers, and good juju in the first Step to Regaining You: Benzos Really insidiously shut off, part of who you are. I think you will Really enjoy getting to know that part of you again! Huge Hugs, & I'm here for you!
Old 01-26-2011, 11:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hold The Phone Darlin'!!!!!
It Does NOT matter how or where you get your Benzos. Period. The only request of a Dr Assisting you with cessation, will be that Any Additional source of Benzodiazapines be no longer available to you & Not Utilized. You are Not Ratting Anyone Out in this process. It would be Beneficial that you gather the strength, to let your folks know, that however you were obtaining these meds via them, That THAT is not optional.
It is By Far, SO SO much more VITAL to get off these meds, How you started, why, or where you got em' is something to address in therapy or counseling. A Dr who devises a plan WITH you, for a step down weening cessation, will probably advise you seek counseling, but Does Not need those Details to work with you on establishing a Responsible, Sound, and SAFE cessation schedule with you.
Stop & really think about what is behind the statement "Won't Rat My Parents Out"...1. That is NOT neccesary to get you free of Benzos, and 2. Is it possible this is an excuse to not get help, &/or maintain that source of Benzo-Availability?....I know one of the scariest parts of this is Absolutes. If you pro-actively Remove this source of meds...You Shut that Door. It really Sounds like a door you & your folks need to discuss, & in a positive way, All decide that any RX meds need to cone from a single Source: Your prescribing Physician. Hugs, and Best Best wishes for your road to Recovery.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sugah View Post

Second, I've often heard (through treatment) that it takes approximately a month for every year of use before brain function returns to normal -- so, it could take as long as fifteen months.
This does not hold true for benzos, people using for only a few weeks can have long protracted withdrawals.

There is a small sampling of data here

Survey Contents Jun 2007
Old 01-27-2011, 06:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

This thread is like a million years old. I've never actually me a protracted withdrawal person. I see lots on the internetsweb though.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by windysan View Post
This thread is like a million years old. I've never actually me a protracted withdrawal person. I see lots on the internetsweb though.
Allow me to introduce myself then. I'm Peter and for 5 months I lived in hell thanks to benzos. Protracted enough? Oh wait, this is still the interwebz, so I guess I'm full of crap.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yeah...this is an old thread...however, I would like to share that I got well.

I got normal after a benzo run. Im ok. Withdraw sucks and yes it is dangerous. Please include your doctor.

It took better part of 20 months for me to "get right" again as far as my brain/body chemistry. I had to admit some other core issues going on in my life to recover. Physically it was the most difficult withdraw I ever survived...however using dope was not by biggest problem. I needed to heal mentally and spiritually to stay clean. Unfortunately I proceeded to trade one drug for another after that in denial of the mental and spiritual suffering. I eventually learned I am an addict no matter what drug I "use" and when was I desperate, hurting and empty enough I sought help from Narcotics Anonymous. No matter what path you take to get well, make a plan...then follow it.

we do recover,
Missy
Old 05-13-2011, 11:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

over 11 years of use, only 3 weeks of wd's
Old 05-13-2011, 12:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

does the same hold true to opiate use as well as far as how long it takes for your brain to go back to normal..I used opiates for 7 years and i feel the same way as far as scrambled memory and holding an intelligent conversation..Its frustrating because i am usually a pretty intelligent person.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:34 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Benzo's and Opiate Withdrawals-Both are NOT fun

I withdrew from xanax after using it for only 2 months and was in a rehab. I would tell anyone, absolutely, to talk with their doctor immediately. Withdrawals can/will include passing out cold wherever/whenever. For me, that fun lasted for several days.
As for the opiate w/d's, they're a bunch of fun to detox from! Days 1 and 2 are bearable but the next week is sweats, chills, RLS, NO SLEEP, vomiting, stuff out the other end every morning, etc...you look at it this way-whatever you've been putting into your body has finally come out and your body just doesn't know how to function without it anymore. There is no easy way of withdrawing. As for benzo's, they can be absolutely dangerous without med supervision.
Best of luck!